LIV Student takes the protection and security of your personal information very seriously and this policy sets out our responsibilities in the UK under The Data Protection Act 2018 and in the republic of Ireland under The General Data Protection Regulation (together ‘GDPR’) and other applicable laws in England, Wales and republic of Ireland relating to the processing and security of personal information.
This policy explains to you how LIV Student uses and secures your personal information whilst you are using the LIV Student website or when you enter a contract with LIV Student to provide services to yourself or your organization.
Valeo Management Europe Limited trading as LIV Student is the property manager of LIV Student Belfast, LIV Student Dublin and LIV Student Sheffield with its head office located at the following address:
Wharton Park House, Nat Lane,
Winsford CW7 3BS
Please contact our data protection team if you have any questions about how your personal information is used by LIV Student on email@example.com
Note: Emails and letters around Data Protection to be addressed to The Data Protection Officer
This policy was last updated on 03.02.2022
Why do we collect personal information?
LIV Student processes personal information for its own legitimate business purposes, which include the following:
Where the processing enables LIV Student to enhance, modify, personalise or otherwise improve our products, services and communications for the benefit of our residents.
- To better understand how individuals, interact with our websites.
- To enhance the security of our network and information systems.
- To determine the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns.
- To provide further information were requested by our residents on social media platforms
Cookies and Google Analytics
We set cookies for visitors who login to our secure area to enable them to browse the whole site without having to log back into the secure area again in the same session. We also use Google Analytics, which sets a cookie, to collect anonymous visitor activity on our website to enable us to improve and enhance our website for our visitors and residents. In addition, we use several social media tools to enhance visitor interaction on our site.
If you already use these platforms their cookies may be set through our website. Data may then be collected by these companies that enables them to serve up adverts on other sites that they think are relevant to your interests.
If you do not use such platforms, then our site will not place these cookies on your device. Using our online chat functionality may also mean that we collect information on your country and IP address.
This information will not be used for any purpose other than to enhance the functionality and performance of the website.
We do not sell or share any of your data with anyone outside of the LIV Student Group, or anyone who does not have a legal basis for holding such information save that we may share your data with the owner of the student accommodation.
You can disable your cookies at any time.
What personal information does LIV Student collect?
We may collect the following information:
- Identity Data: includes your first name, maiden name, last name, username or similar identifier, marital status, title, date of birth and gender
- Contact Data: including email address, telephone number and postal address
- Transaction Data: your property requirements and any booking details
- Technical Data: IP address
- Marketing and Communications Data includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
We do not collect any Special Categories of Personal Data about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health, and genetic and biometric data). Nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offences
Browsing our website: When you browse our website, we may collect the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the PC you are using, this data is anonymous, and we cannot identify you at this point. We collect this data so that we can identify where customers are dropping out of the website and to identify areas of improvement to make the experience more engaging for our customers.
Requesting further information from us: Where you request further information from us by completing a form on our websites in relation to our products and services, you can choose if you wish to opt for our email campaigns and your details will be added to our marketing database to receive marketing from LIV Student relevant to the products and services you have an interest in.
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform the agreement, we are about to enter into or have entered into with you.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
- Maintain internal record keeping
- We may use the information to improve our products and services
- Where we need to comply with a legal obligation.
We may periodically send promotional emails about new properties, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address provided by you.
Purposes for which we will use your personal data
We have set out below, in a table format, a description of all the ways we plan to use your personal data, and which of the legal bases we rely on to do so. We have also identified what our legitimate interests are where appropriate.
Note that we may process your personal data for more than one lawful ground depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your data. Please contact us if you need details about the specific legal ground, we are relying on to process your personal data where more than one ground has been set out in the table below.
|Purpose/Activity||Type of data||Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest|
|To register you as a new resident||(a) Identity (b) Contact||Performance of a contract with you|
|To enable you to partake in a prize draw, competition or complete a survey||(a) Identity (b) Contact (c) Marketing and Communications||(a) Performance of a contract with you (b) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to study how residents use our products/services, to develop them and grow our business)|
|To administer and protect our business and this website (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, system maintenance, support, reporting and hosting of data)||(a) Identity(b) Contact(c) Technical||(a) Necessary for our legitimate interests (for running our business, provision of administration and IT services, network security, to prevent fraud and in the context of a business reorganisation or group restructuring exercise)(b) Necessary to comply with a legal obligation|
|To deliver relevant website content and advertisements to you and measure or understand the effectiveness of the advertising we serve to you||(a) Identity (b) Contact (c) Marketing and Communications (d) Technical||Necessary for our legitimate interests (to study how residents use our products/services, to develop them, to grow our business and to inform our marketing strategy)|
|To use data analytics to improve our website, products/services, marketing, resident customer relationships and experiences||(a) Technical||Necessary for our legitimate interests (to define types of customers for our products and services, to keep our website updated and relevant, to develop our business and to inform our marketing strategy)|
|To make suggestions and recommendations to you about goods or services that may be of interest to you||(a) Identity (b) Contact (c) Technical (d) Marketing and Communications||Necessary for our legitimate interests (to develop our products/services and grow our business)|
From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone or post.
We may share your information with third parties, including, but not limited to:
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors, in relation to any contract we enter with them or with you
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site and services.
- Passing the names of new tenants to utility companies
- Passing the names and details of new tenants to the Council for council tax exemption purposes
- Seeing references that were provided to letting/managing agents
- Disclosing details of a tenant who has left leaving rent arrears to a tracing agent or debt collector to help them recover money owed
- Passing on forwarding addresses of former tenants to utility companies
- Providing tenant’s name to individual landlords, where applicable
- Providing tenant’s contact details to repairers in work needs to be carried out
- Using CCTV to monitor communal areas (but only with appropriate signage warning the occupants of the CCTV)
- Notifying other joint tenants of any rent arrears owed by another tenant
- Informing the guarantor where the tenant has failed to pay rent
Please be assured we do not sell your personal information to third party companies for marketing purposes.
How is your personal data collected?
We use different methods to collect data from and about you including through:
Direct interactions. You may give us your Identity and Contact Data by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by post, phone, email or otherwise. This includes personal data you provide when you
- apply for our products or services;
- create an account on our website;
- subscribe to our service or publications;
- request marketing to be sent to you;
- enter a competition, promotion or survey; or
- give us feedback or contact us.
Automated technologies or interactions. As you interact with our website, we will automatically collect Technical Data about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns. We collect this personal data by using cookies, server logs and other similar technologies. We may also receive Technical Data about you if you visit other websites employing our cookies.
Third parties or publicly available sources. We will receive personal data about you from various third parties as set out below
- Technical Data from the following parties:
- analytics providers such as Google based outside the UK;
- Advertising networks such as accommodation agents based outside the UK; Contact, Financial and Transaction Data from providers of technical, payment and delivery services such as StuRents based inside the UK.
- Identity and Contact Data from data brokers or aggregators [such as Universities and Educators based inside and outside the UK.
- Identity and Contact Data from publicly available sources such as Companies House and the Electoral Register based inside the UK.
Accuracy of your personal information
As part of the account management process, LIV Student will, on a regular basis enquire if the personal information we hold about you is correct. You can also ensure your personal information is correct by:
- Contacting LIV Student on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alternatively, you can contact your LIV Student Property Manager who will ensure they update your records.
Security of your personal information
How long do we retain your personal information for and why?
Where we have collected your personal information for marketing purposes, we will retain your personal information for as long as you are a resident and after that whilst you remain subscribed to our mailing lists or until the time when you inform us that you no longer wish to receive marketing from us.
If LIV Student, no longer has a relationship with yourself or your organisation then we will only keep the relevant information such as invoices for audit purposes 5 years after the relationship with LIV Student has ended.
Once LIV Student is informed, you are no longer the contact we need to liaise with, or your leave your organisation, we will remove your details from our system.
Your rights under GDPR
LIV Student is processing your personal information, for our Commercial Benefit and for the benefit of the organisation, you are representing.
As an individual, you may have certain rights under the GDPR regarding the use of your personal information, these are:
- The right to object – you can object to LIV Student processing your personal information at any time
- The right to be forgotten – you can request that LIV Student remove your personal information from our systems
- The right to access your personal information – You have a right to know what personal information LIV Student hold on you and for what purpose we are processing your personal information this is known as a Data Subject Access Request (DSAR). These requests must be made in writing by either email or letter with photographic identification to confirm your identity.
- You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK regulator for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO so please contact us in the first instance.
- You can send these requests to email@example.com
or by post to the address noted below:
LIV Student Dublin 27-31 Church St, Dublin, D07 RR82
LIV Student Sheffield 131 Ecclesall Road, Sheffield, S11 8HY
LIV Student Belfast 81-107 York Street, Belfast, BT15 1AT